Outline

History

1756
Saishunkan was established by Shigekata Hosokawa.
1870
Public (clan) hospital was founded.
1871
Public (clan) Medical School was established. The name was changed to Government Medical School and Hospital because of the change of local governing system in Japan.
1875
The medical school was closed and it moved to Shimotoricho and renamed Toricho Hospital.
1877
The medical school was destroyed by fire in the Seinan war. The hospital moved to Motoyama and a temporary hospital was opened at Kitaoka.
1878
The hospital was built at Tetori-honcho to reestablish as the Prefectural Medical School.
1882
The hospital was attached to the medical school.
1888
The Prefectural Medical School was closed, and the hospital was closed the next year.
1891
Kyushu Gakuin School of Medicine was established.
1896
Kyushu Gakuin School of Medicine was abolished and Kumamoto Medical school was established.
1901
The hospital moved to Honjomachi.
1904
It was recognized as private medical school under the law of vocational school.
1921
The school renamed Kumamoto Prefectural Medical School and the Prefectural Hospital was attached to the medical school.
1922
Kumamoto Prefectural Kumamoto Medical Collage was established.
1924
Vocational School Hospital renamed Collage Hospital.
1929
The management was changed to Japanese government. Governmental Kumamoto Medical Collage was established and named Governmental Kumamoto Medical Collage Hospital.
1945
Because of the war, a part of hospital ward moved to Fujisakidai and was called Fujisakidai Bunshitu.
1949
It was named Kumamoto university medical school hospital under National School Establishment Act. (opened on July.1, 1949)
1952
Department of Internal Medicine was established. (start practice; Apr 1952)
1954
Orthopedics was established. (start practice; May 1954)
1960
Dentistry was established. (start practice; Mar 1961)
Fujisakidai Bunshitsu moved to Shimasaki Saiseikai Hospital, and it was renamed Daniyama Bunshitu.
1961
Department of dermatology and urology was separated into two departments.
Daniyama Bunshitu was closed and integrated to Honjo district.
1964
Central Test Department and Central Operation Department were established.
1965
Department of pediatrics was established. (start practice; Aug 1965)
1966
Anesthesiology was established. (start practice; Mar 1967)
Center of material division was established.
1967
The 3rd internal medicine was established. (start practice; Feb 1968)
Central radiology department was established.
1968
Delivery department was established.
1969
Department of neurosurgery was established. (start practice; Jun 1969)
1971
6th Ward (SR12-1 14,435m2) completed.
1972
I.C.U. was established.
1973
Department of physiotherapy was established.
1974
Pathological department was established.
1978
Emergency department was established.
1979
Outpatient Clinic Building (R6 10,692m2) completed.
1980
Department of blood transfusion was established.
1983
Cardiovasucular medicine was established. (start practice; Feb 1984)
1984
Department of Internal Medicine renamed Metabolic Medicine and pediatrics renamed development pediatrics with the reorganization of Institute of Constitutional Medicine.
1988
Advanced clinical training designated hospital, MRI-CT device lab, was established. (S1 486m2)
1989
Equipment control building was established. (R2 779m2)
1991
Child surgery was established. (start practice; Mar 1992)
1994
It was selected as Center of AIDS treatment hospital and recognized as advanced treatment hospital. (Dec. 1, 1994)
1995
Neurology was established. (start practice; Dec 1995)
1998
General examination section was established.
1999
Medical information, clinical trial study support center was established.
2000
Infection immunity medical examination section, advanced medicine support center and community healthcare center were established.
2001
Optical medical examination section was established.
2002
Dialysis Center, Patient Safety Unit were established. Medical Informatics renamed Medical Information Technology.
West hospital ward was completed.(SR12-1 24,547m2
2003
Acquisition of ISO9001 certification. (Mar.19, 2003)
Comprehensive Clinical Education, Training and Development Center was established.
2004
Founder changed from Japan to National University Corporation Kumamoto University.
Hospital system was reorganized. 6 medical examination section, 31 diagnosis and treatment departments.
Psychological Medicine was established. (start practice; May 2004)
2005
Perinatal Center was established.
2006
Obstetrics and Infertility Clinic was integrated to Department of obstetrics. (Jun. 1, 2006)
Medical Technology, Outpatient chemotherapy center, Cancer Medical Center and Medical Engineering Center were established.
It was designated as Center of prefectural cancer treatment. (Aug. 24, 2006)
Laboratory Medicine certified ISO15189. (Aug. 30, 2006)
Center hospital ward was completed(SR7-1 22,552m2)heliport installation.
2007
Department of Physical Therapy renamed to Department of Rehabilitation (Jan. 1, 2007), Diagnostic Radiology renamed to Diagnostic Imaging and Interventional Radiology (Apr. 1, 2007), Blood Transfusion renamed Transfusion Medicine and Cell Therapy. (Apr. 1, 2007)
Multistory Parking Garage 1 was completed.
Delivery was integrated to Perinatal Center, and it was closed.( Jul. 26, 2007)
It was designated as Center of AIDS treatment hospital. (Jul. 11, 2007)
2008
It was designated as Higher brain dysfunction support center. (Jul. 1, 2008)
2009
Regional Medical Support Center (Jan. 1, 2009) established.
Outpatient chemotherapy center and Cancer Medical Center were reorganized to Cancer Center. (May. 1, 2009)
It was designated as Core medical care center of dementing disorder. (May. 1, 2009)
It was designated as Base Hospital for Liver Disease Diagnosis and Treatment. (May. 13, 2009)
It received Quality Health Care Certificated from Japan Council for Quality Health Care. (Jun. 5, 2009) Certified Promotion Room reorganized and Medical Quality Control Center (Oct. 1, 2009) established.
2010
Emergency Room, Intensive Care Unit and General Medicine were reorganized to Emergency and I.C.U. (Apr. 1, 2010)
Advanced Medical Care Support Center was renamed Highly Advanced Medical Treatment Research and Development Center. (Apr. 1, 2010)
Infection Control Room was established. (Apr. 14, 2010)
East hospital ward was completed. (SR12-1 19,689㎡)
2011
Transplant Medical Treatment Center was established. (Apr. 1, 2011)
Heart Clinical Department was merged with Neuropsychiatry Department. (Apr. 1, 2011)
Perinatal Center was certificated by Kumamoto Prefecture, and renamed Comprehensive Perinatal Medical Center. (Apr. 1, 2011)
2012
Nutrition Administration Unit was established. (May. 1, 2012)
Multistory Parking Garage 2 was completed. (S2 4,400m2)
2013
In-hospital Nursery School was established. (May. 1,2013)
2014
The Developmental Pediatrics Department was combined with the Pediatrics Department. (Apr. 1, 2014)
The Outpatient Department (OPD) Ward was completed. (S4 11,861m2)
The Palliative Care Unit (PCU) was set up in the Cancer Center. 
On September 17, 2014, some facilities’ names were changed as follows: The Outpatient Department (OPD) Chemotherapy Room to the Outpatient Department (OPD) Chemotherapy Center, the Cancer Consulting Supporting Room to the Cancer Consulting Supporting Center, and the Cancer Registration Room to the Cancer Registration Center. (Sep. 17,2014)
On October 1, 2014, a Department of General Clinical Investigation was set up, a Study Seeds Exploring Center, Study Expansion Center, Research Ethics Judgment Center, as well as a Research Data Administration Center were set up in the department.  A Clinical Trial Study Support Center was also incorporated into the department. (Oct. 1, 2014)
2015
The Metabolism and Internal Secretion Medicine Department was changed to the Diabetes, Metabolism, and Internal Secretion Medicine Department. (Apr. 1, 2015)
2016
Infection Control Room reorganized into Department of Infection Prevention and Control. (Apr. 1, 2016)
2017
Combined Department of Medical Safety Management and Medical Quality Control Center into Department of Medical Quality and Safety Management. (Apr. 1, 2017)
2018
Japanese name of Neurology Department changed. (Sept. 1, 2018)
2019
Affiliation changed from School of Medicine to the University, name changed to Kumamoto University Hospital. (Apr. 1, 2019)
2020
Dialysis Center reorganized into Kidney Disease and Dialysis Center. (Apr. 1, 2020)
2021
Emergency and General Medicine reorganized into Emergency Medicine, General Medicine. (Mar. 1, 2021)
2022
Multi Triage Building was completed. (S1 191m2)
Japanese name of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Department changed. (Apr. 1, 2022)